Oh the ever loyal Dog. Your simple function is to pass the lead to your partner. Of course you must first have the lead. Below are a few stratagems, many of which are rather self-evident. After all the Dog is not that complicated of a card.
- Pass the Dog to your partner if your hand is terrible.
- Play the Dog if your partner has not called (Grand) Tichu and has yet to play a card.
- Play the Dog if your partner has called Tichu.
- Keep the Dog if your partner has called (Grand) Tichu.
- Doggedly fight for the lead against your opponents if your partner called Grand Tichu and you have the Dog.
- Before you play a card and have received the Dog from your partner…
- for your partner may be wishing to call Tichu
- for your partner will be assuming that you will call Tichu
- for your opponents may go out 1st and 2nd.
- for what looks to be a “lay down hand” may be undone by a well timed bomb.
- for they may be working to weaken your hand.