Welcome to the anchor page for Let’s Read “Stars without Number” series. Go grab your free copy of SWN and join in.
Welcome to the inaugural post in a series of posts in which I read Stars without Number (or SWN).
Interested in reading along? Grab a copy of the Stars without Number: Revised Free Edition or buy a copy of the Stars without Number: Revised Edition.
The rules light sci-fi RPG Stars without Number provides extensive tools that support the three pillars of adventure:
- Social Interaction
Basic/Expert Dungeons & Dragons (or B/X D&D), while lacking a skill system, provides the foundation. Stars without Number further draws inspiration from Classic Traveller’s skill system and technology. From these venerable precursors, Stars without Number steps into its own with:
- Quick character creation with some interesting options (though no character death during character creation)
- Random tables and systems to help the GM create and maintain the setting for their game
In upcoming posts, we’ll dive deeper into these pieces as we read each chapter.
- Into the Waiting Light
- Character Creation
- Systems - Combat and Healing
- Systems - Scenes, Saves, Skill Checks
- Systems – Hacking, Advancement, and Hazards
- Equipment and Vehicles
- The History of Space
- Sector Creation
- Adventure Creation
- Game Master Resources
This is a revised edition, yet fully compatible with, the previous Stars without Number: Core Edition and the free core edition (originally published in 2010).