Contrary to my latest posts about Stars without Number, I continue to run a mostly once a week session of Tomb of Annihilation. Originally, I was running two different groups, but getting high schoolers together to game is a real challenge. So I’m down to one.
Some of the Highlights
- Agreed to play a concert at the lobster people’s breeding grounds, instead of backtracking and losing a few days
- Had a shin-dig with lizardfolk as they shared some food
- Befriended an Allasaurus, after it chomped dead a halfling
- Fled a fort after they refused conscription
- Watched several party members plummet to their death
- Fought off a swarm of small poison wielding frogmen
- Fought a quartet of clay gladiators that vanquished much of the party (on my birthday the dice were hot for the opposition and cold for the players)
The group has entered the second phase of the adventure; They’ve made it through the jungles of Chult and are exploring the ruins of Omu. They know they are not alone - they have evidence of Red Wizard activity, Yuan-ti, and the occasional roar of something truly ferocious.
And in last session, when the first party member fell, I called for a DC* 14 Death save. A few months ago (in real time), the DC was 12. And now, the failed death saves don’t clear after healing. The meat grinder is a grinding, and they continue forward. Thus far, we’ve had 6 character deaths.