A part of my Let’s Read “Stars without Number” series. Go grab your free copy of SWN and join in.
Prior detailed systems:
- Character Advancement
- Environmental Hazards
A quick discussion about accessing computers. You can hack in a Main Action if you spend an hour planning, or spend 10 minutes for an off-the-cuff. If you don’t have 10 minutes, you can spend a single Main Action at an increased penalty.
You can acquire data or control a system (for a short period of time). Progressive hacking attempts get harder. And failure means there is a chance of triggering an alarm.
And if you are hacking something corporate or government, you’ll need to have direct access to a line and sometimes through two points (via line shunt).
From hacking you can:
- Answer a specific question
- Get general information
- Complete database acquisition
- Suppress a system
- Subvert a system
- Sabotage a system
What I like about this system, is planning matters, but also sneaking in to gain access to a terminal or plant a line shunt matters. The planning of a hack is a team affair, and the skill check for hacking is a quick matter.
Characters advance quick during the early levels - a session or two per level - up until level 4, then advancement begins slowing down. So that by level 11 you’ll need 12 or so sessions for advancement.
When you level up you:
- Roll your hit points again. Take the new result if its higher, or take the previous result + 1 if its lower.
- Increase your attack bonus, if applicable. Warriors increase each level, others gain a bonus every even level
- Improve each saving throw by 1.
- Gain and spend 3 skill points; Experts get 1 extra skill point.
- Choose a new Foci at level 2, 5, 7, and 10. If the Foci grants a skill rank, check the additional considerations.
|New Skill Level||Skill Point Cost||Minimum Character Level|
|Psychic’s may buy additional discipline techniques with their skill points.|
|Attribute Boost||Skill Point Cost||Minimum Character Level|
|Characters may buy, at most, 5 attribute boosts.|
SWN details the dangers of space:
- Hard Vacuum
Training in Heal or Biopsionics can make all the difference in treating exposure to these hazards.
The Hacking system reminds me of Divination spells in D&D. Consider the availability of a tremendous amount of information, and its possible impact. Characters will most certainly seek information in their planning.