A , I switched from a hosted Wordpress site to a static site, built first by Jekyll and then by Hugo.
In that time, I’ve enjoyed updating and modifying my site. I’ve written scripts to help me manage and enhance my site.
In crafting my own site, I’ve gained a deeper insight into HTML ↑ and CSS ↑ . I’ve used the accessibility tools from Google, Firefox, Safari, and Wave by WebAIM to verify (as best I can) my site’s accessibility.
And today, Adrian posted on Mastodon the following excerpt:
…There is a lot of developer attention on improving the performance of the status quo, but to earn the order-of-magnitude performance improvements SourceHut has, you need to make order-of-magnitude reductions in complexity.
I cannot agree more.
Every line of code I write, every abstraction I rely on, every tool I use, comes with its own costs.
Right now, when you go to https://takeonrules.com, my site asks your browser to download two files:
fav.ico. In total, on this request, you transfered about 10 KB ↑
of data to your browser. The browser unzipped those 10 KB ↑
into 42 KB ↑
of data. The page loaded in 163 ms ↑
The network traffic for the current TakeOnRules.com homepage…
At my previous Wordpress hosted version of https://takeonrules.com, the site asked your browser to download 26 files:
index.html, stylesheet files,, scripts and lots of image files. In total, on this request, you transfered about 756 KB ↑
of data to your browser. The browser unzipped those 756 KB ↑
into 1.46 MB ↑
of data. The page then processed the CSS ↑
The network traffic from the old Wordpress TakeOnRules.com homepage…
All of those files require energy to make, transfer, and extract on your computer.
Removing Those Costs
Wordpress made it easy to publish blog posts. Except, when I wanted to make custom tables. Or wanted to do bulk updates. Or wanted to have low level access to my site’s code and data.
The layers of abstraction helped, until they didn’t, and then the costs compounded.
I have Hugo shortcodes that render custom tables from CSVs ↑
or JSON ↑
documents. Or automatically add
ABBR HTML ↑
tags to my abbreviations. I have rake tasks to fetch Webmentions and push out my posts to different platforms.
In moving to a simple site, I’ve been able to focus on improving the small tools I use instead of maintaining a complex and large beast that I made from the tools. And instead of fighting the beast, I’m finding other people using simple tools to make things.