The following changelog reflects system, functional, and stylistic updates. You can find content updates as part of the Metadata Updates or as new blog posts.
- Adjusting CSS for smaller screens to increase spacing between links.
Reworking semantic markup: Moving breadcrumbs outside of
articletag; Changing metadata and related posts from an
asidetag to a
footer > nav
- Removed footer links for RSS and Email. Those are in About and Contact Me. The graphic fonts did not render well.
Adding mousetrap.js to add hot keys:
ctrl+pgoes to previous section (if on exists),
ctrl+ngoes to next section (if one exists),
ctrl+0goes to the home page,
ctrl+1goes to the second menu item (About),
ctrl+2to third (Contact Me), etc.
- Adjusting rendering order of navigation and article H1 tags.
<ins>tag for margin and side notes. This creates a more satisfying behavior when stylesheets are disabled.
- Removing toggle-ability of sidenotes. The HTML requires an input element, which looked odd in RSS feeds.
- Adjusting semantic markup of the site.
- Minor semantic changes to the HTML; In reviewing the semantics they are not quite right.
Changing the marginnote to be an
<aside>element. The Marginnote already rendered within a p-tag, which was a display block element. In using an aside, I can remove an extra
<span>element and use a more semantically correct element.
- Continued work to compress the CSS and remove extraneous declarations.
- Moving Changelog from top-level page to a page under Metadata.
rake social:to_mastodontask to help syndicate content to Mastodon.
- Removing Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager.
Adding closing parenthesis “
)” to sidenotes.
- Established Changelog, and began backfilling.
- Removing Google Form previously used for contacting me. Just email me at email@example.com.
- Tidied up HTML markup for Metadata external links
- Adding audit task to look for images without ALT tags; At present this audit logs warnings.
- Adding audit task to look for unexpanded strikethrough.
- Loading CSS inline, instead of as a linked resource. While each page now has a larger size, this reduces the number of HTTP requests per page load.
- Removing custom font in favor of Times, Courier, and Ariel. This saves approximately 200 KB on uncached requests.
Modifying exporter to also export posts to Reddit markdown format. See
rake -Tfor details.
- Adding “Into the Unknown” and “The Markdown SRD5” to Open Game License for site.
- Adding color to code section rendering.
- Cleaning up code CSS to better handle first line of code.
- Amending audit scripts to address frequent false positives regarding unexpanded markdown directives.
Creating content exporter to export posts to BoardGameGeek forum format. See
rake -Tfor details.
- Adding Lunr.js as site-wide search leveraging TakeOnRules.com’s index.json page.
- Switch site build from Jekyll.rb to Hugo.
- Launch of new TakeOnRules.com blog (see announcement)